Skip to main content

Why the Change to Compass Crops?

You all have been so kind to follow along on our journey. From the earliest hop plants and the tiniest ankle biters, to a CSA and growing community, to Rank and Row and the Veterans in Agriculture movement. Thank you. 

Dear friends, I wanted to share a bit with you about why we made a change away from the "Hop Haus" title and towards "Compass Crops". If you aren't one to care too much about the nitty gritty, I'd encourage you to toss back a beer and know that your hoppy pals are still here. We are just shifting the scope a bit. We were teenagers, at the Hop Haus. We're now inking up on middle age. The journey has left it's mark on us, but it hasn't changed who we are or the quality we strive for!

Schneider's Hop Haus was kicked off in 2011/2012. A baby on our back, a song in our heart, and the notion of our very own hop yard-- wide-eyed and dreamy. We forged our way through worn and tired soil. We rehab'ed a beat-up cabin. Most importantly, we made friends and crafted a bit of a community in a time when we (and so many others) were looking for a genuine connection. Through the Hop Haus and the Hop Haus CSA, we shared many-a drink and dinner with friends. We studied and attended workshops, seminars, training sessions and breakout brainstorm sessions. We met online and offline. We made connections.

The hop yard expanded, in stride with our family. We worked by headlamp in the hours before daylight, and the late nights after the babies finally gave way to rest. Our children raced through sprinklers and drove mini tractors up and down hop rows. Life wasn't easy, but it was authentic, it was crafted as we pleased, it was dreamy. We had set down roots and we knew our course ahead.

In 2017 we welcomed our third little blessing and we knew a decision must be made. Add onto the cabin, or move down the road.  As it happened, the day our third little treasure made the journey earthside, a quaint little cottage, on a few acres, just minutes from grandparents listed on the market. Upon discharge from the hospital, we scheduled a walk through. The place was ready for a new family to love and polish the historical rooms. The location was tucked close to the Cuyahoga National Park, where we had come of age ourselves. The lure of sharing the Everett Road Covered Bridge, the backwoods trails of our youth, and the backyards filled with grandparent love with our children -- something we felt compelled to do. We listed the Hop Haus with Micheal Henry, of The Henry Group, and started packing. 

Moving is always messy. Something goes off plan and the stressors of navigating the transition with tiny humans are not to be underestimated. In the end, we made it to the new homestead. The sheep, the chickens, the kids, the dog, kittens, and what was left of our sanity :)

The new property didn't much resemble the old. Rolling hills, mature fruit trees, established hop plants, a century home and milking house-turned-barn. The gardens were in place, but powerfully overgrown. The soil was barren. There was no evidence of microorganism or insect. There were ponds, but they needed cleaning. There was a lovely yard, but it needed to be carved out from the encroaching forest. There were trails to explore and lovely shade trees to hang swings in. There were conveniences unimaginable, after our "Oregon Trail" existence at the Hop Haus. We did what we could to enjoy our first autumn and to put the property to bed for the winter. We added organic material to the gardens and sowed cover crops to begin the nourishing process. We fixed a septic, a heating system, bathroom, and more. The first year in an aging home is always more work than you bargain for, we've come to appreciate.

We are powerfully grateful of friends who made the move possible, of the Good Lord for keeping our health and marriage afloat through the transition. We're thankful for friends and family that celebrated the new chapter with us, amid boxes and chaos! We are thankful for the brave hearts of our children, as we upturned their world. We thought long and hard about the life we wanted for our boys. A space, in a place, where they could run, build, scrape, hollar, and grow into young men. Something apart from the pace of society. Someplace a bit removed from the chaos that has infiltrated America. We pined over ways to give our children the type of childhood they deserved, in our minds. A childhood that we felt, all children in America honestly deserved. The promise of freedom and opportunity that I signed up to protect and defend, some years ago. Our decision wasn't casual. We set a new direction, we recalculated our course and put one foot in front of the other, steadily. 

When the dust settled a bit, we looked around and realized that we weren't going to be defined by hops. We appreciated that we were truly looking at a whole health experience. Herbs. An array of vegetables. Fiber. Life. and yes, hops, too. 

We needed a name and that didn't come easy. Our time at the Hop Haus revealed, without question, that hands in soil can be medicinal to the individual. A collective of like-minded individuals had become friends. A nonprofit was inking into the world... because soil is healing. Soil is reflective. Soil is nourishing. Soil is incredible, but only if you pour into it. Our thought progress continued down a curious path. The work we put into the soil shaped us and strengthened us. Toil. The effort, the work, the labor of the experience. Unfortunately, toil has too few characters to be taken seriously in most social media tags, website names, or similar functions. We chose not to complicate things by compounding the toil. The search for a fitting name continued. 

A dear friend mentioned an idea that seemed, in some ways, quite simple. Perhaps too obvious, even. 

Years ago, the husband and I drove from the west coast, back to Ohio. I had taken a short term assignment at McChord and we were leisurely making our way home. We stopped off in Colorado to visit friends and make some memories. A mentor loadmaster was in town and he offered a tattoo, something we had joked about over the cargo ramp and around paratroop doors, years prior. The hubs and I sketched several ideas, but I landed on one. A compass, seated in the palm of my hand. 

What if the compass, that had taken on a quite life of its own over the years, embodied the compass provided by the soil. The tattoo started as a reminder to return to that places where I felt alive, loved, empowered. Later, as I grew in faith, the compass became a reminder that, no matter where the journey led, the Lord was always my guide. As I set down roots and grew the Hop Haus, the compass often reminded me of the way soil to hands brought forth direction. Casually, without conscious effort, farm work quite frequently provides perspective when the world is without. 

As seeds meet with soil, as fingernails become stained, the mind is free to find her path.

Here, Compass Crops was born.


It's time to get our hands dirty. It's time to turn some soil. It's time to build something new. It's time to find our path.

Welcome to Compass Crops.

#compasscrops #akronohio #notjusthops #findyourpath #bathohio #hops #crops #fiber #honeybees #findyourway #homestead #homeschool #veteranowned #farmher #mamafarmer #shefarms #toil



Popular posts from this blog

Morning's Quiet

This morning I spent some time, just me, my eggs and coffee, the singing birds, and The Word. Self care looks different for everyone, but an ounce of quiet is soothing to my maternal chapter. I read again the tale of Jesus feeding the crowd of five thousand men. We don't know how many women and children were there, but the total sounds something like the number that is gathered at my family reunions. :) I find it hard, to make sure to save space for my care and well being. It doesn't take long. Maybe fifteen minutes in the word. Maybe an hour at the gym. Maybe a dinner with my friend. It is so hard for me to say "I have time for that". I can say it is my family, my children, or my husband, but that is me allowing myself to come last. Whether it is regular teeth cleanings or a cup-topping visit with a soul sister, I need to take care of myself, I need to be honest about what works for me, if I am to take care of my family in the very best way. Today, before I head o

First Lilly

Growing up, my family would take long drives to southern Ohio and Appalachia to visit family. The stationwagon logged a great many miles on those country roads and I always admired the lilies adorning the side of the road. The splashes of orange were cheerful and bright, welcoming visitors, so it seemed. Last year, when we moved to the cottage, I swooned over the orange lilies up along the road. While some view them as ordinary or plain, to me they have always been something I'd like to add to the front of the property, until now. The cottage came ready to bloom! This afternoon, as we pulled from the drive, intent on a trip to take our small tribe to visit cousins, I noticed that the very first lilly had blossomed! I smiled and quietly made note, as the car was filled with the chatted and rustle that begets a family road trip. I'm sure that when we return home, the sun will have beckoned forth lilies innumerable. I can't wait to see their smiling orange hues, laced with y

Women in Business

I was just listening to a podcast about women in business featuring CoCo Chanel. I'm fascinated by fashion. I can't afford high fashion right now and I cannot maintain high fashion right now, but the allure and the fluidity of high fashion intrigue me. In the interest of dusting off my business brain, I thought the podcast may inspire. A familiar voice casually led my mind as I set to scrubbing the kitchen sink, responding to emails and wiping the baseboards. All glamorous stuff, I assure you. To hear of the humble beginnings of Coco Chanel and the manner in which she navigated the early financial hurdles of starting a business, the personal branding tips offered, the growth perspective, it was some what predictable, but worth hearing. The narrative meandered through the chronological sequence of Coco's life and business choices until it reached war time Europe. The narrator's tone was a bit more reserved, as I would expect from was time discussion. I come from a g