Skip to main content

Now Tell Me How You Make Your Applesauce

I've been asked exactly three times in the last week,"Now tell me, how do you make your applesauce?"

I'm no applesauce queen, but I tend to make a batch every year and the jars tend to diappear rather quickly.

If you are taking a leap into applesauce this year and you want to hear just how *simple* the process can be, join me...

We gathered apples from our own orchard this year, which was a huge treat! With three little nuggets running around, I was a pinch concerned about how many apples would actually be gathered at our annual apple picking and how many apples would be snacked on. Moms, you know what I'm talking about 2.5 bites in, "I wanted a red one, not a green one"... "can I pick another"... or the sly older kids simply drop their half-eaten treat on the ground to see how many bees will come calling.

Cool temps and apple trees right outside our front door are a gift from the heavens!!!

We filled a garden cart with apples on Monday evening. This afternoon, in the heat of the day, I sprayed them off with the garden hose and left them in the shade to dry.

Science. I filled a stock pot with apples and brought them in, along side the baby swing and set to work. Many folks ask if I use a pealer or if I peal my apples. The truth is that I peal exactly as many apples as my attention span will allow... usually not very many. Maybe half my batch is pealed. It is not science, do what you feel. I do not use a pealer, but I have in the past. As it happens, I fumble with the pealer and my hands operate the knife like a boss. So, knife for me. Pealer for you? We can still be friends.


Slices. The second most asked question that I field on the topic of applesauce is usually regarding the thickness of my slices or chunks. Again, not science. I grab the cleanest knife in the chicken, one of those handy-dandy plastic cutting surfaces (available at ikea, amazon, or target) and I park wherever my kids are playing. The cutting surface is sterile, the knife is clean, the apples are washed, and I go to town. As it stands, I like my applesauce like I like my babies *CHUNKY*! A chunky baby is a healthy baby, in my mind. Chunky applesauce is the real deal, as well. Either way, your apples will cook down if you chunk large and you'd like a smoother finish, grab a hand blender and mash that goodness a bit. Make a mental note that those apples with the skin still in place will cook down slower. Do your apples need to be pretty? No. They can have bumps and lumps and dimples and treasures of all kinds. What we don't want to mess around with is mold, insects, or bad bruising. If your Little One dropped the bag of apples on the way out of the orchard and you are cooking them down that evening, don't worry for the wear. If  those same apples sat for a week and a half, but off the bruised portions and salvage the good flesh. You want your applesauce to last and that brown goodness will surely spread.


Cooking Down. Today I used my trusty dutch oven to cook down my apples.
Do you need le creuset? No.
Can I use a crockpot? Yes.
Can I use the large pot in my kitchen drawer? Yes.
I'm a big believer in using what you have. Applesauce is one of the most forgiving items to prepare. Use what you have. Cover the bottom of the pan/dutch oven/ crock pot with a bit of water, I'd say 1/4 - 1/2 inch, depending upon the amount of apples you are cooking. Add the apple slices and chunks. Stir occasionally, watch for the bottom to stick. If need be, add a bit of water to keep things moving. When the apples have cooked down to the consistency that you like, jar, freeze or eat!

Jars. Ever the canning questions. It doesn't matter what size or age jars you use for canning apple sauce. Don't use the fake tinted ones from the dollar store. I don't trust things with dye. Most importantly, make sure your jars and lids are CLEAN. For me, this means boiling them for at least five minutes before I add the golden sauce. Apple sauce is marvelous for beginners because the natural acidity means that you do not have to invest in a pressure cooker. Applesauce can be added to the jar, lid and ring applied and it will seal up just fine for the winter. If you are looking for more specific guidance on canning, check with the pros: https://www.freshpreserving.com/applesauce---ball-auto-canner-recipes-br1374.html

Additives. "Can I add pears, cinnamon, sugar or (whatever)?"
Sure. You can. Sometimes I do, but most often I leave apples alone. In my house apples stand alone. My children and my husband eat an apple or two every day. There is a jar of apple sauce opened every week. We have a bit of a *thing* for apples. Have fun, get creative, try different varieties and combinations, additives and storage methods. September is for apples!

Take home points:
-applesauce is easy to make
-choose unbruised and healthy apples for your sauce, even if they look funny
-chop and slice to your liking
-cover the bottom of your cooking dish with water, add apples, stir until your home is filled with the scents of the season
-make sure to clean (boil) your canning or freezing supplies



Enjoy.

Popular posts from this blog

Morning's Quiet

This morning I spent some time, just me, my eggs and coffee, the singing birds, and The Word. Self care looks different for everyone, but an ounce of quiet is soothing to my maternal chapter. I read again the tale of Jesus feeding the crowd of five thousand men. We don't know how many women and children were there, but the total sounds something like the number that is gathered at my family reunions. :) I find it hard, to make sure to save space for my care and well being. It doesn't take long. Maybe fifteen minutes in the word. Maybe an hour at the gym. Maybe a dinner with my friend. It is so hard for me to say "I have time for that". I can say it is my family, my children, or my husband, but that is me allowing myself to come last. Whether it is regular teeth cleanings or a cup-topping visit with a soul sister, I need to take care of myself, I need to be honest about what works for me, if I am to take care of my family in the very best way. Today, before I head o

First Lilly

Growing up, my family would take long drives to southern Ohio and Appalachia to visit family. The stationwagon logged a great many miles on those country roads and I always admired the lilies adorning the side of the road. The splashes of orange were cheerful and bright, welcoming visitors, so it seemed. Last year, when we moved to the cottage, I swooned over the orange lilies up along the road. While some view them as ordinary or plain, to me they have always been something I'd like to add to the front of the property, until now. The cottage came ready to bloom! This afternoon, as we pulled from the drive, intent on a trip to take our small tribe to visit cousins, I noticed that the very first lilly had blossomed! I smiled and quietly made note, as the car was filled with the chatted and rustle that begets a family road trip. I'm sure that when we return home, the sun will have beckoned forth lilies innumerable. I can't wait to see their smiling orange hues, laced with y

Women in Business

I was just listening to a podcast about women in business featuring CoCo Chanel. I'm fascinated by fashion. I can't afford high fashion right now and I cannot maintain high fashion right now, but the allure and the fluidity of high fashion intrigue me. In the interest of dusting off my business brain, I thought the podcast may inspire. A familiar voice casually led my mind as I set to scrubbing the kitchen sink, responding to emails and wiping the baseboards. All glamorous stuff, I assure you. To hear of the humble beginnings of Coco Chanel and the manner in which she navigated the early financial hurdles of starting a business, the personal branding tips offered, the growth perspective, it was some what predictable, but worth hearing. The narrative meandered through the chronological sequence of Coco's life and business choices until it reached war time Europe. The narrator's tone was a bit more reserved, as I would expect from was time discussion. I come from a g