Skip to main content

Veteran's Day


After much consideration, the husband and I elected to propose to use the grant towards an unexpected source. Hops where taking off in Ohio and while we were a year ahead of many area growers, we knew that this chapter in our family wouldn't allow for rapid organic hop yard growth. The CSA trial had gone fairly well and we learned more than we ever imagined about the model and the interests of area families. Our plan was to tend our hop yard, strengthen our relationship with other growers, support the return of hops to Ohio, fine tune the option of a 2016 CSA, and seek additional revenues for our farm. To this, we sought an investment that would fuel the farm, feed our community, and strengthen our position as a family farm. We choose to expand our chicken flock carefully, crossing two disease resistant breeds that had proven resilient, and very tolerant of our chilly winters. Our objective was to find an Ohio coop builder that could house our new feathered friends!

We combed the state, drove the beautiful winding back roads of Ohio, and found several truly talented coop builders. Ohio has some fabulous craftsmen! I won't lie, it was a tough choice. Ultimately, we chose Carpenter's Coops, of Zanesville, because of their design, our site requirements, their quality construction, and expansion options. The Carpenter family is just what you would hope to find in America's farmland. They worked closely with us as we tweaked the standard construction to suit the growing needs of our farm. They were a pleasure to work with and  very supportive regarding the assembly of our coops.

On Veteran's Day, 2015, I can't help but reflect upon the many journeys in life that lead us to our current station. Prior to September 11th, I would have never imagined that I would join the military. Now, I cannot imagine my life without the richness, challenges, adventures, and victories shared with my squadron! Add to, I never imagined that I would follow in my ancestor's footsteps, straight into the soil, to a farm lifestyle for our growing family! What blessings we enjoy! Sometimes when the plan changes, things fall right into place... with a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and maybe even a few tears. None of the good stuff in life comes easy.

This year, I'm thankful for the folks I was honored to serve alongside. Love you guys!
Also, I'm thankful for the Farmer Veteran Coalition and their incredible support of military and veteran farmers, such as ourselves! We hope to do you proud!!!!

In 2016, with great enthusiasm, we will add eggs and meat birds to the Homegrown By Heroes offerings at Schneider's Hop Haus!

Now, to the fun stuff...



The Carpenters were kind enough to host us twice, at their building site!
The day we returned to pick up our coops was one of much anticipation, much celebration!! 
The kids thought we were picking up new playhouses.... 
...but they didn't seem to mind when we told them the true intent! 

We trailered the coops home and were stopped by interested folks at every interval...
Where had the beautiful coops come from?....
Who was the Farmer Veteran Coalition?
Tell us more about that! 
The Carpenters made sure we loaded the coops correctly. Chicken coops aren't something we transport a lot... though being a former loadmaster does have its perks! 

At one of our pit-stops, folks actually came up to the coops to ask questions. Drive fancy coops around... it tends to garner a lot of attention.
When we arrived at home, the kids took the coops for a 'playhouse' spin, while we put some final touches on the site 
The first night we were happy to safely unload the coops.  
A local church contributed light fixtures that they were swapping out to improve the lighting situation for our birds! How awesome is that??!? 

An early round of cold weather prompted some deep litter for the youngest in our flock. We didn't want chicken popsicles before we could get off the ground. The boys helped to spread new bedding whenever possible. Building their immune systems, right?!?!


By Spring, our on-site hatchlings will officially be contributors to the egg production! 
We promise to inundate you with more fluffy cuties, such as these! 

Egg collection is a tough job, but someone has to do it... 
And this... kind friends... is what we are shooting for, a cross of French Black Copper Maran and the heritage breed, Buckeye! Our first hatchlings will begin laying in a few weeks and we cannot wait to share to see the beautiful egg coloring!


Would you like to connect with Carpenter's Coops for your own farm? Tell them the Veteran lady sent you their way!!!! I promise, you'll be in good hands!



Would you like to learn more about the Farmer Veteran Coalition, the Homegrown by Heroes label and their programs to support veterans in agriculture? These folks are just the friends you were looking to connect with, if you are veteran or military member looking to expand your farm!

Are you an area veteran or military member who would like to get into farming, but lacking land? We'd like to hear from you! Please drop a line to schneidershophaus@gmail.com Subject: Military/Veteran Farmer Opportunity 
Let's start a conversation!

Cheers and blessings to the peace keepers and their families this Veteran's Day, from our family to yours!



Here is a peek at our coop painting progress...
We are growing fond of the names

"Hercules Hen Hut"

and

"Patriot Poultry Palace"

These birds live in the very best accommodation! We plan to add some aircraft touches, a few flags and some NVG compatible lighting to the inside of the coops. Check back for updates, as weather allows for progress!


Popular posts from this blog

Morning's Quiet

This morning I spent some time, just me, my eggs and coffee, the singing birds, and The Word. Self care looks different for everyone, but an ounce of quiet is soothing to my maternal chapter. I read again the tale of Jesus feeding the crowd of five thousand men. We don't know how many women and children were there, but the total sounds something like the number that is gathered at my family reunions. :) I find it hard, to make sure to save space for my care and well being. It doesn't take long. Maybe fifteen minutes in the word. Maybe an hour at the gym. Maybe a dinner with my friend. It is so hard for me to say "I have time for that". I can say it is my family, my children, or my husband, but that is me allowing myself to come last. Whether it is regular teeth cleanings or a cup-topping visit with a soul sister, I need to take care of myself, I need to be honest about what works for me, if I am to take care of my family in the very best way. Today, before I head o

First Lilly

Growing up, my family would take long drives to southern Ohio and Appalachia to visit family. The stationwagon logged a great many miles on those country roads and I always admired the lilies adorning the side of the road. The splashes of orange were cheerful and bright, welcoming visitors, so it seemed. Last year, when we moved to the cottage, I swooned over the orange lilies up along the road. While some view them as ordinary or plain, to me they have always been something I'd like to add to the front of the property, until now. The cottage came ready to bloom! This afternoon, as we pulled from the drive, intent on a trip to take our small tribe to visit cousins, I noticed that the very first lilly had blossomed! I smiled and quietly made note, as the car was filled with the chatted and rustle that begets a family road trip. I'm sure that when we return home, the sun will have beckoned forth lilies innumerable. I can't wait to see their smiling orange hues, laced with y

Women in Business

I was just listening to a podcast about women in business featuring CoCo Chanel. I'm fascinated by fashion. I can't afford high fashion right now and I cannot maintain high fashion right now, but the allure and the fluidity of high fashion intrigue me. In the interest of dusting off my business brain, I thought the podcast may inspire. A familiar voice casually led my mind as I set to scrubbing the kitchen sink, responding to emails and wiping the baseboards. All glamorous stuff, I assure you. To hear of the humble beginnings of Coco Chanel and the manner in which she navigated the early financial hurdles of starting a business, the personal branding tips offered, the growth perspective, it was some what predictable, but worth hearing. The narrative meandered through the chronological sequence of Coco's life and business choices until it reached war time Europe. The narrator's tone was a bit more reserved, as I would expect from was time discussion. I come from a g