Skip to main content

Upgrading the Subaru

You know that time... when you have a third kid and you KNOW your vehicle situation needs to change?

Leave it to Subaru to release a powerful *third row* contender!

The hubs and I have been torn which vehicle would best suit our growing brood, now, the answer comes clearer...





We stopped by the Cleveland Auto Show to give the Subaru Ascent the once over. She's lovely! Standard roof rails, a towing package, and (of course) ALL WHEEL DRIVE! The Ascent offers optional upgrades that include built in window shades for the second row, as you might find on a Cayenne. She has options for navigation, auto start, and larger wheels for adventurers, or heated leather seats, copious USB connections, and upgraded sound system for the discerning buyer.

The Subaru Ascent offers a tidy cargo space, first highlighted in their roll out video, also confirmed by my handy pocket tape measure (#dorkymom #whatfits #measuremuch) 



It is a little tighter spacing on the top, where the third row headrests meet the rear window, but still respectable for a crossover style SUV!



The third row has observable LATCH indicators for two of the seats, as well as generous cup holders, USB connection, and plush leather (available).


Second row seats offer comfortable leg room and either bench or captain chair options. The captain chairs, on this model, glided nicely, folded forward with ease, and felt comfortable to sit in, too.


Driver and passenger seats were truly comfortable with the brown leather -- just like in the videos! The console was Subaru-familiar, but updated and pleasant to engage. The ample storage in both the console and side doors, seems a bit larger than our 2016 Outback. When asked if the driver's seat felt more like that of the Outback or that of the Forester, I would describe it as in-between. Personally, I appreciate the elevated feeling of the Forester driver's seat, but I prefer the cargo space of the Outback. The Ascent seems to merge the best of both worlds! 
Subaru, as a brand, is heartwarming and authentic. They are adventurous, but not boastful. I've always appreciated that Subaru avoids interface elements that clutter and distract from the driving or entertainment/navigation objectives. Subaru is clean, even when she's splashing down muddy trails. She's a Swiss Army knife of a vehicle. She holds her value like a Porsche. Most importantly for us, she embraces the growing family (with dog) like no other! Subaru has impeccable safety ratings, consistently, and wide enough seat spacing that determined parents can still manage to fit three car seats across. They've kindly included LATCH connections in the majority of back seats, something that many automotive manufacturers are missing!
While I'm not an experienced automotive reviewer, I wanted to do my best to describe what I saw, for those who may be interested in the Ascent.
I am in not a representative of Subaru, but I do look forward to taking an Ascent for a test drive when she rolls off the production lines, in a few short weeks!

#subaruascentreview #subaru #ascent #thirdrow #carseatattatchments #clevelandautoshow #subie


Popular posts from this blog

Morning's Quiet

This morning I spent some time, just me, my eggs and coffee, the singing birds, and The Word. Self care looks different for everyone, but an ounce of quiet is soothing to my maternal chapter. I read again the tale of Jesus feeding the crowd of five thousand men. We don't know how many women and children were there, but the total sounds something like the number that is gathered at my family reunions. :) I find it hard, to make sure to save space for my care and well being. It doesn't take long. Maybe fifteen minutes in the word. Maybe an hour at the gym. Maybe a dinner with my friend. It is so hard for me to say "I have time for that". I can say it is my family, my children, or my husband, but that is me allowing myself to come last. Whether it is regular teeth cleanings or a cup-topping visit with a soul sister, I need to take care of myself, I need to be honest about what works for me, if I am to take care of my family in the very best way. Today, before I head o

First Lilly

Growing up, my family would take long drives to southern Ohio and Appalachia to visit family. The stationwagon logged a great many miles on those country roads and I always admired the lilies adorning the side of the road. The splashes of orange were cheerful and bright, welcoming visitors, so it seemed. Last year, when we moved to the cottage, I swooned over the orange lilies up along the road. While some view them as ordinary or plain, to me they have always been something I'd like to add to the front of the property, until now. The cottage came ready to bloom! This afternoon, as we pulled from the drive, intent on a trip to take our small tribe to visit cousins, I noticed that the very first lilly had blossomed! I smiled and quietly made note, as the car was filled with the chatted and rustle that begets a family road trip. I'm sure that when we return home, the sun will have beckoned forth lilies innumerable. I can't wait to see their smiling orange hues, laced with y

Women in Business

I was just listening to a podcast about women in business featuring CoCo Chanel. I'm fascinated by fashion. I can't afford high fashion right now and I cannot maintain high fashion right now, but the allure and the fluidity of high fashion intrigue me. In the interest of dusting off my business brain, I thought the podcast may inspire. A familiar voice casually led my mind as I set to scrubbing the kitchen sink, responding to emails and wiping the baseboards. All glamorous stuff, I assure you. To hear of the humble beginnings of Coco Chanel and the manner in which she navigated the early financial hurdles of starting a business, the personal branding tips offered, the growth perspective, it was some what predictable, but worth hearing. The narrative meandered through the chronological sequence of Coco's life and business choices until it reached war time Europe. The narrator's tone was a bit more reserved, as I would expect from was time discussion. I come from a g